Postscript



Having spent some time putting these thoughts together, and as much time re-reading them, I am aware that I must stop at some point. 

The reason I have written so much is to try to defend my views from as many angles as possible – to show that, whether right or wrong, they are based upon careful consideration of biblical texts.

I will find it hard enough to have my views discarded and corrected, but if this is done so through the Bible, then it will be fair and proper to do so. To be treated suspiciously for saying what is not normally said within the church would be unprofitable for the discussion, and unedifying for all involved. The Bible is the focus. If my views are unbiblical then that is enough – I will be wrong and will have been put in my place. There will therefore be no need to tar me with the same brush as those who openly espouse the ‘inspired’ words of extra-biblical sources. 

If my theological leanings seem heretical to the reader, then please bear in mind the sincerity with which they are presented and accept that I do genuinely wish to understand the Scriptures alone. To be labelled a ‘heretic’ would therefore be, I believe, unfair and unhelpful to any future discussions to which this document may lead. 

That said, despite genuine effort, I am sure there are many occasions in this document where I am too dogmatic of my own views and condescending of many readers’ views. It will not have been my intention, but I am aware that inserting some cherished doctrines into inverted commas (thereby emphasising that I do not hold them in the same regard) could come across as insulting. Please understand that I have tried to think of ways to distance myself from doctrines I no longer believe without insulting anyone, but I can’t help but think that I will look back on this document and find so many better ways to word things.

However, I must move on and air these views, defending them to the best of my ability now. The value we place on these doctrines, and disagreements we may have, will always lead to a feeling that we are being attacked along with the doctrine. I understand this, and just hope that I can react with the same respect with which I trust this document will be treated.

No comments:

Post a Comment