Part 4: What was sin's penalty? (iv) Soul-sleep?



I am including this short comment to clarify that I know very little of the ‘soul sleep’ teaching which is taught by a minority of churches. 

What I have heard is that proponents of ‘soul sleep’ still believe the soul to be a separate component of man – possibly also holding to its immortality and immateriality. The ‘sleep’ is supposedly also a conscious rest for the soul until physical resurrection. 

If this is the case then I obviously disagree. I have purposely not sought to find out the details of ‘soul sleep’ doctrine because I wish to be swayed by others’ opinions as little as possible. I am not trying to align myself to any group, old or new. I wish only to discuss what the Bible is saying so that, even if I am wrong, I will not have to listen to accusations of being influenced by ‘cultish’ doctrine, as some would label it.

Suffice to say that, in the case of ‘soul sleep’, the punishment inflicted upon mankind for sin (death) is still not sufficient. The whole man dies and nothing remains, not even in a state of rest. This is what I am presently seeing in Scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment